Daily Record, Feb. 24, 2017
Man arrested for domestic abuse
Marshalltown police responded to a call earlier this week at the local Super 8 motel in the 3300 block of South Center Street. After investigation, Horace Whack III, 42, was arrested on domestic abuse assault-impeding flow of air/blood — no loss of consciousness, and weapon was used in the incident. Whack is being held in the Marshall County Jail without bond.
Leads sought in Albion theft cases
ALBION — The Marshall County Sheriff’s Office is asking the public’s help in solving a rash of thefts from vehicles earlier this week.
According to a MCSO report, four Albion residents said a variety of personal items had been stolen.
“We have person or persons entering unlocked vehicles,” said Sheriff Steve Hoffman.
He advised residents to lock their vehicles, and be mindful of leaving items of value in plain view.
“Other residents reported their vehicles had been entered,” but nothing was stolen,” said Hoffman. “They noticed consoles had been opened or papers were in disarray.”
The sheriff is asking those who may have information about the incidents to contact his office or submit tips via Marshall County Crimestoppers by calling (641) 753-1234, via text by texting the word “marshall” followed by the tip to CRIMES (274637), or online at marshallcountycs.com. All tips are completely anonymous and could earn a reward of up to $1,000 if the tip results in an arrest
Hoffman said the thefts are not directly connected to burglaries currently, but regardless, residents should be careful about leaving garage door openers and other means of residence access in unlocked vehicles.
Marshalltown Police Department
• On Tuesday, Henry W. Eiler was cited for no insurance-accident.
• On Wednesday, Wayne Johnson was arrested for theft-third degree-enhanced and forgery.
• On Wednesday, Timothy Garrett was arrested for dogs at large.
• On Wednesday, Rachelle Renaud was arrested for theft-fifth degree-shoplifting.
• On Wednesday, William Joseph Smith was arrested on a warrant.
• On Wednesday, Carl Franklin Bragg III was arrested on two warrants.
• On Wednesday, Mark Bennett Jervis was arrested for public intoxication-first offense.
• On Tuesday, Horace Whack III was arrested for domestic abuse assault-strangulation.
• On Tuesday, Austin Peter Bair was arrested for theft-fifth degree-shoplifting.
• On Tuesday, Terron Brandon Martin was arrested on a warrant.
• On Tuesday, Mark Moore was arrested for possession of marijuana-second offense and possession of drug paraphernalia.
• On Wednesday, a car driven by George Earnest Lamasters, of Marshalltown, was eastbound on West State Street stopped at the intersection with North Ninth Street when it proceeded to turn left and collided with a car driven by Nicole Arlene Montgomery, of Conrad, which was northbound on Ninth Street. No injuries were reported. Lamasters was cited for no insurance-accident and failure to obey a stop sign and yield the right of way. Damage to the Lamasters car was estimated at $3,000 while the Montgomery car received an estimated $5,000 in damage.
• On Sunday, a Jeep driven by Travis Aaron Muckler, of Marshalltown, was eastbound on East Olive Street and turning north onto South 17th Avenue when some papers were about to fly out his window so the driver leaned over to grab them and struck a steel pole on the corner. No injuries were reported. Damage to the Muckler Jeep was estimated at $3,500 while the pole was not damaged, but bent over.
• On Friday, Feb. 17, a car driven by Jenny Jayne Baedke, of Marshalltown, was southbound on South Center Street when it collided with the rear of a stopped vehicle driven by Juan Valentin Rivas Vargas, of Marshalltown. No injuries were reported. Baedke was cited for failure to stop in the assured. clear distance. Damage to the Baedke car was estimated at $3,000 while the Rivas Vargas vehicle received an estimated $1,000 in damage.
Marshall County Courthouse
• Frank Coleman Summers made an initial appearance on a domestic abuse assault charge. The public defender’s office is appointed as counsel. The preliminary hearing is scheduled at 1 p.m. on March 6. Bond is set at $1,000 cash or surety. If he owns or possesses any firearms or ammunition, Summers is to contact the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office within 24 hours to make arrangements to surrender them. A no-contact order has been issued for the protected party.
• Mark Bennett Jervis made an initial appearance on a probation violation charge and a public intoxication charge. The public defender’s office is appointed as counsel. The probation revocation hearing is scheduled at 3 p.m. on March 20 with the bench trial on the public intoxication coinciding. Bond is set at $5,000 cash.
• William Joseph Smith made an initial appearance on warrants charging him with failure to appear for a rocket docket pre-trial conference on a driving under suspension charge and a failure to maintain control charge. The rocket docket pre-trial conference is rescheduled at 9 a.m. on March 31 in Magistrate Court. Smith is released on his promise to appear.
• Carl F. Bragg III made an initial appearance on two warrants for failure to appear for a pre-trial conference. Aaron Vaughn will continue as counsel. The pre-trial conference is rescheduled at 9 a.m. on March 8 in Magistrate Court. Bragg is released on his promise to appear.
• Miguel Angel Vasquez Garcia made an initial appearance through a Spanish interpreter on a possession of methamphetamine charge and a possession of drug paraphernalia charge. The public defender’s office is appointed as counsel. The preliminary hearing is scheduled at 1 p.m. on March 14. Vasquez Garcia is released on his promise to appear. A substance abuse evaluation is ordered with the results submitted to the court within 60 days.