Daily Record, Jan. 9, 2019
Marshall County Courthouse
Court — Tuesday
• Alexander Ethan Willet made an initial appearance on a violation of pre-trial release conditions charge and a possession of drug paraphernalia charge. Jennie Wilson-Moore will continue as counsel. Willet pre-trial release is revoked and a bond of $2,000 cash only was instated. A sentencing hearing is scheduled at 3 p.m. on Jan. 9. On the drug paraphernalia charge, a pre-trial conference is scheduled at 9:30 a.m. on Feb. 27 in Magistrate Court. Willet is released on his promise to appear on this charge.
• Lashawn Doncel Scates made an initial appearance on a possession of a controlled substance-third or subsequent offense charge and a possession of drug paraphernalia charge. The public defender’s office is appointed as counsel. The preliminary hearing is scheduled at 1 p.m. on Jan. 17. Bond is set at $5,000 cash only. A substance abuse evaluation is ordered with the results submitted to the court within 60 days.
• Darci Lynn Crosby to Robert David Crosby Jr., 3015 and 3025 Abbott Ave.
• Madison A. Probasco to David M. and Elke Mehmen, 2116 Jessup Ave., State Center
• Ellen M. Hildebrand to Samu Sanchez and Williams Vazquez, 113 and 115 N. 10th Ave.
• On Monday, Lashawn Scates, 33, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance.
• On Monday, Miguel Gutierrez, 23, was arrested for driving under suspension.
• On Monday, Alexander Willet, 24, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and on a warrant.
• On Dec. 26, a vehicle driven by Patrick Stanley, 49, of Reinbeck, was westbound on 190th Street east of V Avenue when it entered the north ditch and struck a bale of hay in the field. No injuries were reported. Stanley was cited for failure to maintain control. Damage to the Stanley vehicle was estimated at $6,000.• On Jan. 1, a minivan driven by Steven Ray Cordes, 71, of Marshalltown, was in a fast food drive-thru when his foot slipped off the brake and hit the accelerator colliding with a vehicle driven by Tiffany Brooke Bivens, 43, of Arlington, Texas. No injuries were reported. Damage to the minivan was estimated at $4,000 while the Bivens vehicle had an estimated $5,000 in damage.
• On Dec. 28, a vehicle driven by Britney Schiller, 23, of Cedar Falls, was on Highway 14 north of Grundy Center when, due to icy road conditions, it collided with the rear of a vehicle driven by Craig Wildeboer, 48, of Holland which was stopped to make a left turn onto Park Street. No injuries were reported. Damage to the Schiller vehicle was estimated at $5,000 while the Wildeboer vehicle received an estimated $1,000 in damage.
• On Jan. 2, a vehicle driven by Donald Allspach, 87, of Parkersburg, was southbound on U Avenue approaching the stop sign with 160th Street when he did a slow rolling stop and continued into the intersection crossing the path of a vehicle driven by Dustin Meyer, 32, of Wellsburg, resulting in a collision. A passenger in the Allspach vehicle was taken to a local hospital to be checked out. Allspach was cited for failure to obey a stop sign and yield the right of way. Damage to both vehicles was estimated at $10,000 each.
• On Jan. 2, a vehicle driven by Sydney Hanken, 19, of Aplington, was northbound on Highway 14 and attempted to turn onto Highway 20 eastbound ramp when the front wheels locked up and the vehicle continued onto the grassy area between Highway 20 and the ramp. No injuries were reported. Damage to the Hanken vehicle was estimated at $3,000.
• On Jan. 7, a pickup driven by a 16-year-old male from Marshalltown was exiting a parking spot at his apartment complex when it sideswiped a legally parked Buick. No injuries were reported. Damage to the pickup was estimated at $500 while the Buick received an estimated $2,000 in damage.
Grundy County Sheriff
• On Dec. 30, Marshall Stanley, 18, of Grundy Center, was arrested for assault on a peace officer with injury. Stanley was released on his promise to appear.
• On Dec. 31, Lauren Kopsa, 31, of Waterloo, was arrested at the courthouse in Grundy Center on a Grundy County warrant charging her with unauthorized use of a credit card and forgery. Kopsa was released on her promise to appear.
• On Jan. 7, a Jeep driven by Sheila Smith, 50, of Cedar Falls, was eastbound on Highway 20 at Dike when the vehicle went off the road in the curve, the driver overcorrected, lost control and entered the south ditch where it rolled several times. Smith and a passenger were taken to an area hospital. Damage to the Smith Jeep was estimated at $10,000.
• On Jan. 7, a car driven by Keith Balvanz, 66, of Wellsburg, was northbound on J Avenue at 120th Street when it struck a deer that entered the roadway. No injuries were reported. Damage to the Balvanz car was estimated at $5,000.