Attic fire displaces tenants

Faulty wiring to blame

T-R PHOTO By MIKE DONAHEY Pictured is the exterior of 308 E. Boone St. in Marshalltown. A fire Monday evening displaced tenants and resulted in a minor injury to a Marshalltown firefighter. An investigation cited faulty wiring in attic.

An attic fire in a Marshalltown apartment building Monday night displaced several tenants and resulted in approximately $25,000 in damage.

One firefighter reported a minor injury.

At 8:36 p.m. the Marshalltown Fire Department responded to 308 E. Boone Street on a reported apartment building fire. Upon arrival fire crews determined all occupants were out of the building and found light smoke coming from the eaves. Crews entered and found no visible fire and light smoke conditions on the second floor. Fire personnel began removing the ceiling but did not find visible fire. The ventilation crew opened the roof over two of the apartments and found fire in the attic space in the southeast corner of the building and extinguished the fire. Investigation determined the fire was the result of a faulty wiring in the attic. Also assisting the MFD was the Marshalltown Police Department and UnityPoint Health-Marshalltown EMS.