Weekend fire damages Marshalltown home

TIMES-REPUBLICAN

A faulty outlet was to blame for a weekend house fire in Marshalltown.

According to the Marshalltown Fire Department, at 1:37 a.m. Saturday, firefighters were called to a reported house fire at 406 Orchard Drive.

On arrival, fire crews determined all occupants were out of the house and found smoke coming from the basement and first floor windows. The homeowner reported he and his wife were sleeping and smoke detectors woke them up. Crews entered the basement and found fire in the basement wall. Crews extinguished the fire and ventilated the residence. No injuries were reported and damage was estimated at $20,000.

Fire Chief David Rierson said the investigation determined the fire was the result of a faulty outlet in the house.