MFD responds to laundry room fire

TIMES-REPUBLICAN

The Marshalltown Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 501 N. 12th Ave. Friday morning.

Upon arrival at about 11:43 a.m., fire crews reported all occupants were out of the house and light smoke was visible coming from the front door of the residence. Crews entered the structure and extinguished the fire, which was found in the laundry room. The fire was contained to the laundry room, however, smoke had filled the entire structure. Firefighters ventilated the building to remove the smoke. No injuries were reported and damage is estimated at $7,000.

An investigation determined the fire started as the result of the use of an LP gas cooker inside the laundry room which ignited combustible items located nearby.