MPD conducts compliance checks
Eight businesses and their employees cited for selling alcohol to underage people
Eight local businesses and their respective employees have been cited for selling alcohol to underage persons.
Last weekend, the Marshalltown Police Department conducted alcohol compliance checks at local businesses and retail stores throughout the community. The MPD conducts these checks throughout the year in an effort to reduce underage drinking and curb the purchase of alcohol by persons under the age of 21.
MPD Lt. Rick Bellile said compliance checks were made at 37 locations. An employee from eight of those locations sold to an underage person.
The following businesses and their respective employees were cited:
• Zamora Fresh Market, 4 East Main St. — juvenile female, 17;
• Wayward Social, 1101 South 6th St. — Joshua Linden Krough, 31;
• Marshall Beer and Wine Spirits, 3rd Avenue and State Street — Michael Austin Johnson, 21;
• Hy-Vee Gas Station, 802 South Center St. — Payton Rae Henrich, 23;
• Casey’s General Store, 108 Iowa Ave. West — Austin Dean Earley, 18;
• Walgreens, 5 East Anson St. — Lisa Kay Duff, 47;
• Casey’s General Store, 1009 West Lincolnway — Cassandra Lyn Campbell, 27; and
• BP Travel Plaza, 1701 Iowa Ave. East — Lori Ann Balvanz, 58.
All eight employees were charged with Providing Alcohol to Person Under the Legal Age — Employee. All were cited and released.
“Our goal in these checks is not to have a sale, to be in compliance. Unfortunately, eight locations did sell to a minor,” said Bellile. “The Marshalltown Police Department appreciates everyone’s cooperation. Thank you to those that were in compliance. We will continue to do these compliance checks and extra patrols throughout the year to combat underage drinking and the sale of alcohol to minors.”