Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

Life without my car

January 16, 2013 - Pam Rodgers
Last Tuesday, I was initiated into a very exclusive group, “The Deer Slayers.” Most of the members are willing, outdoorsy type people who hunt deer recreationally. I, however, was press-ganged into service when I hit a deer with my car on the way home from work. Now the deer has passed on and my car is in the shop with more than $5,000 worth of damage. Yikes!

It was one of the more traumatic moments of my life. I honestly never saw the deer coming. I travel Garwin Road almost every day, and I know that the road is littered with deer of all sizes. In the lovely winter months when it gets dark at 5 in the afternoon, it makes it more difficult to spot the pesky animals as they try to cross the road. Add some hills and drove of trees and it’s like dodging land mines out there.

Luckily, I was able to keep it together and not put my car in the ditch. I drove to safer part of the road and pulled off to inspect the damage. Nothing could have prepared me for the sight of my mangled bumper and hood. I know it could have been a lot worse, but I find little comfort in those words.

I wasn’t the only one in a state of shock. My car was very confused. The only idiot light ... I mean warning light that came on in the car was “check head lamp.” Believe me that was a least of my worries. But I suppose “front of car is messed up” wasn’t an option.

A very nice gentleman stopped to see if I was OK. I didn’t get his name but I appreciated that he took the time to stop and check. Physically, I was unhurt but I was an emotional roller coaster at the time. I wanted to take a second and thank that man again in my blog.

I didn’t want to leave the car on the side of the road. I had some personal belongings in it that I wanted to take out before the tow truck came the next day. It was drivable enough to drive the two miles to my house. Let me tell you, I got some strange looks as I turned into town. One car at the all-way stop visibly slowed down in the middle of the intersection to do a double take. Thanks for that. Like I didn’t already know my car was broken.

Once the car was safely in the garage. I let the waterworks go for about 10 minutes. I’m not a crier but sometimes you need it just to get all of the horrid emotions out of your system.

The next step in this process is a lot of phone calls. I called my insurance claims department, talked to the adjuster and the appraiser, multiple times. I called the car garage three times and the tow service several times to be sure my car got to the right place. It seemed never ending.

I also called a rental car agency to see how much it would cost to rent one from the time my car was being fixed. Since it’s going to be a month before I get my car back, those prices were a bit out of my budget. So now I’m and driving my parents’ car. I’m so nervous it’s not even funny. I have been driving 45 miles per hour (or slower) at times on Garwin Road to make sure I don’t hit another deer. Sorry to any cars who are following me!

I have to put most planned weekend trips on hold. I’m pretty much counting on holing up in Garwin unless my parents take me somewhere. It’s junior high all over again. I can’t wait to get my car back!

Now I’m just waiting on my official acceptance letter from “The Deer Slayers.” I wonder if it will be delivered by owl like in Harry Potter.



I am looking for:

Blog Photos