Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Is that all you got Mr. President?

October 30, 2012
Doug Butler, Marshalltown , Times-Republican

President Obama, over the last four years, you seem to have a single theme, repeated over and over as the answer: The rich should pay more.

In your smooth oratory, you like to include yourself in this category of "rich," by saying if we would each pay just a little bit more ... the conclusion being that many of our problems would be solved. With all of our problems including 23 million Americans out of work, do you really think the voters believe that our issues are solved if a few more pay a little more? If you consider that most of the rich you refer to are actually employers, the small business owners often referred to as our nation's economic engine, your often repeated policy of taxing the "employers" sounds just that much more unbelievable.

As it turns out, these few already pay more. In fact, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article referencing a Congressional Budget Office report, the distribution of household income and federal taxes, 2008 and 2009, July 10, 2012 shows that 70 percent of all federal tax revenue comes from top 20 percent already, the remaining 80 percent of tax payers with incomes of $74,000 or less pay the remaining 30 percent.

As Paul Ryan stated in the vice presidential debate, you could tax 100 percent of the top income earners and not put a dent the $16 trillion deficit of the current administration.

Mr. President, as you know from your extensive travel in our state in search of the ever elusive arugula, all wisdom in Iowa comes from our coffee shops. Posted at the door of Cecil's caf in Marshalltown is a small sign, "No one ever made a poor man rich by making a rich man poor," and I will add that you can however, make a poor man and woman rich every time by providing them with a job opportunity. You spent your political capital passing Obamacare and using your bully pulpit to disenfranchise potential employers by your constant theme of taxing the rich, the result 8 percent unemployed.

So in fact this election may come down to the good people of Marshall County, and I believe, using your own campaign theme, two questions. For the voters, do you really believe that taxing the rich/employers will lead to prosperity for our country? And for you Mr. President, is taxing the rich all you got to offer the American people?

 
 

 

I am looking for: