Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Heater chars cabinet at local home, MFD respond

December 22, 2012
By DAVID ALEXANDER - Staff Writer (dalexander@timesrepublican.com) , Times-Republican

Faulty wiring on a home heater damaged a cabinet in a local home, filling it with smoke early Friday morning.

Marshalltown Deputy Fire Chief Scott Johnson said the Marshalltown Fire Department responded to a call of light smoke coming from 1007 E. Anson St. just before 3:30 a.m.

Paramedics assisted the home's two occupants with getting out of the house and transported them to Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center for treatment. Doctors treated and later released them.

Although firefighters did not need to extinguish any flames, they were on scene for approximately an hour using ventilation fans to clear the home of smoke, Johnson said.

He said the investigation revealed the fire was electrical, and firefighters found a smoking wooden cabinet near the stove top and oven. The heater apparently shorted out causing damage to the adjacent cabinet. The MFD estimated the damage at $2,500.

Marshalltown Police Department and Area Paramedic Services assisted the MFD with the call.

 
 

 

I am looking for: