Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Christmas Eve fire damages local home

December 27, 2012
By DAVID ALEXANDER - Staff Writer (dalexander@timesrepublican.com) , Times-Republican

Combustible items left near a boiler heater caused a small fire at a Marshalltown home Christmas Eve.

Marshalltown Fire Department firefighters responded to a call at 307 Swayze St. just after 5 p.m.

When firefighters arrived, they found the home on fire and the floor beneath the boiler had burned. They promptly turned off the gas and electrical units.

"There wasn't much fire at all," said Fire Chief Steve Edwards. "We just cut away the burnt wood and put it out with pressurized water."

Once firefighters extinguished the fire, they used fans to ventilate the home.

The MFD estimates the damage to the boiler to be around $1,500. Firefighters were on scene for roughly an hour. No injuries were reported. Edwards said he was unaware whether the residents were home at the time of the fire, but urged people to consider what can happen when they store inflammable items near a heat source.

"You are supposed to keep the area around furnaces and water heaters clear," he said. "They had stuff stored there. You are not supposed to do that. That's why we ask people not to do that."

The Marshalltown Police Department and Area Paramedics assisted the MFD with the call.

 
 

 

I am looking for: