The Animal Rescue League's annual spring fundraiser "will have a little different feel, " said Heidi Drager, ARL director.
And it is the only ARL fundraising event where man's best friend is invited.
It is the debut of "Trails for Tails," June 1 at Marshalltown's Riverview Park.
T-R FILE PHOTO
From this May 6, 2012 photo are shown husband and wife team Lucas and Joelle Busard as they finish the last leg of the Animal Rescue League’s sponsored “Dog Jog” with their collies Honey and Sweetie at the South Sixth Street softball complex Saturday morning. Proceeds from the event went to the ARL.
The ARL is hoping dozens of residents will pay a $20 registration fee, solicit donations from others and bring their dogs to walk along the scenic and user-friendly Linn Creek Recreational Trail, commonly referred to as the "bike trail."
Drager said there are several good reasons to join in the fun.
"All proceeds go to the ARL," she said. "The top fundraiser will be recognized as 'The Grand Dog,' and there will be special recognition of ARL alumni."
If You Go ...
Rescue League fundraiser,
recognition of ARL alumni
WHEN: June 1 -
registration 8 to 8:45 a.m.
Announcements at 8:45 a.m, walk starts at 9 a.m.
WHERE: Riverview Park, 402 Woodland St., on the bike trail near tennis courts
The ARL is strongly encouraging pre-registrations so participants can pick up a donation collection packet.
Pre-registrants will also be guaranteed a goodie bag.
Registrations will be allowed the day of the event.
Additionally, Drager requested all participants honor event rules and recommendations:
- All dogs must be on a leash that is no longer than 6 feet. No extension or retractable leashes.
- All dogs must be current on rabies and distemper combination vaccines. It is recommended dogs have current Bordetella vaccinations as well as flea and tick preventatives.
- It is recommended that each walker have no more than two dogs.
- Do not bring dogs in heat or coming in to heat
- Puppies younger than 4 months are highly susceptible to viral diseases such as Parvo. Consequently, please wait to participate in next year's event.
- Please pick up dog manure.
For more information contact the ARL at 641-753-9046 or arlmarshalltown.com