On June 10, 2013, while a local man was working on taking out scrap metal off a combine in Brooklyn, a spark flew 20 feet and ignited a gas tank.
That incident, and the resulting explosion, would change the life of former Tama resident George Davis II forever.
Davis was burned on 58 percent of his body and spent five months in the hospital and one month in rehabilitation.
George Davis II, a former Tama resident, was hospitalized last year from burns following an explosion. A benefit to help with his medical expenses will be held Saturday night in Tama.
"He's still doing surgeries," said Shellina Putney, his older sister who lives in Tama. "On the six month anniversary of the explosion he had his 13th surgery."
Putney is organizing a dinner benefit this weekend to help her brother get caught up on his medical bills. The event will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Tama Civic Center. It will include a spaghetti dinner at $4 a plate, bake sale, raffle and silent auction.
Putney said her brother has gone through ups and downs in his recovery and she planned this event to lend him a helping hand.
If You Go ...
WHAT: Dinner benefits for burn victim George Davis II
WHEN: 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Tama Civic Center, 305 Siegel Street
"He's been through a lot and I want to help him out," Putney said.
Unfortunately, this isn't the first tragedy involving a fire for the family. George II and Shellina lost their parents, George and Diane, to a 2010 house fire in Tama.
"We've been through a lot," Putney said.