A local marker indicates history of the area dating back to 1850 and the construction of a fort to ward off a possible attack from the Meskwaki Indians.
Fort Robinson was located southeast of Marshalltown and built by a group of early Euro-American settlers in Marshall County. The rock marker for the fort is located on Smith Avenue, which is southeast of Marshalltown and just north of the TImber Creek mobile home park.
Smith Avenue is 12th Avenue as it moves south of Marshalltown.
T-R PHOTO BY ANDREW POTTER
This rock marker located on Smith Avenue southeast of Marshalltown highlights the spot where Fort Robinson was built in 1850.
There was friction between these early settlers and the Sac and Fox Tribe (Meskwaki) who located along the Iowa River, according to information in the book "Frontier Forts of Iowa: Indians, Traders and Soldiers, 1682-1862" by William E. Whittaker.
When these settlers burnt a small Meskwaki village they feared retaliation and built Fort Robinson on the homestead of Arthur Robinson. Between 24 and 34 families lived in the stockade along Timber Creek, Whittaker writes.
"The fort was about 90 feet square with a 10 foot stockade," Whittaker writes. "Settlers lived in tents made of wagon covers and old quilts."
The marker is atop the hill located on the western side of Smith Avenue.