Countdown to Oktemberfest begins
Iowa’s Best Family Fall Celebration kicks off in one week
There is still time to submit an entry for the Oktemberfest grand parade.
The parade will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28. The route will begin at Ninth and Main streets and continue down Main Street to Second Street.
Parade co-chair Alyce Quastad said all entries need to be received no later than Friday since the parade line-up will be determined on Saturday.
Also on Saturday marks will be placed on the street indicating where each entry should wait.
“Hopefully the rain is good to us,” Quastad said.
She is anticipating 115 entries for the 2019 Oktemberfest parade, which carries a theme of “Looking Through Rose Colored Glasses.”
“We have 75 entries so far,” Quastad said. “Last minute entries happen quite regularly.”
The fee for a parade entry is $40 and there is a limited number of space for entries with music.
“Music can be disruptive,” she said. “We like to separate those out.”
This year $50 prizes will be awarded to entries in the following categories:
• Best followed theme
• Best religious
• Best commercial
• Best non-commercial.
While the parade co-chair begins of the process of organizing the parade this Saturday, she is looking forward to the annual Oktemberfest event.
“I like every aspect of the parade,” Quastad said. “I like the bands because I like music. I like to see the older vehicles. I love to see who is doing what the floats, and of course kids love candy.”
Oktemberfest will return to downtown Marshalltown this year. Last year the annual celebration was moved to the Central Iowa Fairgrounds due to extensive tornado damage.
Oktemberfest at a glance
Thursday, Sept. 26:
• Gopher State Amusements carnival which will be held everyday during Oktemberfest. It kicks off at 5 p.m.
• Meet and greet Disney princesses Ariel and Jasmine and Marvel superheroes Captain America and Spiderman from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Big Wheel Races, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Aerial artist Megan Loreen, 5:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• Little Miss and Mr. Oktemberfest coronation, 6 p.m., Main Street.
Friday, Sept. 27:
• Oktemberfest Classic Car & Trunk Show, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• Food vendors 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Main Street. Vendors will also be available 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday
Saturday, Sept. 28:
• 2019 Oktemberfest Grand Parade, 10 a.m., Main Street.
Sunday, Sept. 29:
• 2019 Oktemberfest Motorcycle Show and Rodeo. Registration begins at 11 a.m. on the corner of Center and Main streets.