Deck the Halls at the Holiday Stroll
Saturday event packed with activities
Whether or not anyone is ready for the holidays, they are here and Marshalltown is getting ready for them with the Holiday Stroll.
The annual event will be held at 4 p.m. on Saturday. Many businesses and churches will have numerous activities going on throughout Marshalltown.
The Times-Republican will host Santa’s Workshop beginning at 5:30 p.m. at Great Western Bank at 11 N. First Ave.
“This is a great annual event,” said marketing director Deanna Davis McGowan.
Advertising representative Malette Glader said cookies and juice will be available and parents should have their cameras ready to take photos with Santa Claus.
“We usually get a lot of kids,” Glader said. “We run out of cookies.”
In addition to pictures, a coloring contest will be held at Santa’s workshop.
Down the street at the Orpheum will host the Festival of Trees in its black box theater. Admission to the festival is $1 for anyone age 12 and older, although veterans can view the trees for free.
Madisun VanGundy will make her big muscial debut during the Holiday Stroll at Tannin. She and her father, Dr. Lance VanGundy, will perform from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Tannin owner Mary Curley said there is no charge and Madisun can play multiple genres of music but she will grace the wine-loving crowd with some holiday favorites.
“She auditioned for Tom and I and we were very impressed,” Curley said.
Other Holiday Stroll events include:
• Christmas window competition along Main Street.
• Holiday concert, 3 p.m., First Congregational Church, 312 W. Main St. Listen to holiday music performed on an organ, a piano and by a bell choir.
• Holiday concert, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 101 S. Center St.
• Meet mini horses Chance and Bandit, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Stepping Stones Christian Book Store, 14 W. Main St.
• Christmas Craft Village, 4 p.m. to 8 p..m., First Avenue next to the Marshall County Courthouse.
• Iowa Central Modular Railroad Train display and Cookie decorating, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., 111 W. Main St. The cost is $3 per cookie decorating kit which includes two sugar cookies, frosting and toppings.
• Stalzer holiday photography, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., 129 E. Main St. Get photos taken in a sleigh. The cost is $10, which is donated to Shoes for Kids and to the Holiday Stroll.
• Turkey noodle dinner, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., Central Christian Church, 300 W. Main St.
• Holiday Stroll parade, 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Starting at West Main and Third Street and ending at East Main and Second Avenue.
• Dance performances following the parade at Remix Dance Academy, 119 E. Main St.
• Live music, Van Gogh’s 129 E. Main St.
• Holiday concert, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tallcorn Ballroom, 2 N. Second Ave. The Iowa Veterans Home Choir and the Marshalltown Men’s Chorus will perform
• Kids carnival, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., The Vineyard Church, 214 W. Main St.
• Plum Hill carriage rides, 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Marshall County Community Services, 101 E. Main St. The cost is $5 for anyone age 13 and older and $2 for children age 2 to 12.
• The Kay Brothers performance, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Orpheum Theater Center, 220 E. Main St. Tickets cost $12.50.
Contact Lana Bradstream
at 641-753-6611 or