COVID-19 infections in Iowa nursing homes double in two weeks
BY CLARK KAUFFMAN
IOWA CAPITAL DISPATCH
The number of reported COVID-19 infections in Iowa nursing homes has doubled over the past two weeks, according to newly released data from state health officials.
There were 41 outbreaks reported in Iowa care facilities last week, compared to 23 two weeks prior, and 16 outbreaks four weeks prior, the Iowa Department of Public Health reported.
The state agency defines a nursing home outbreak as a facility with three or more active infections among the staffers and/or residents.
Two weeks ago, IDPH reported 185 infections associated with the 23 outbreaks that were active at that time in Iowa nursing homes. This week, the department reported twice as many infections – a total of 378 — associated with the current 41 outbreaks.
The largest current outbreaks are at Black Hawk County’s Newaldaya Lifescapes, the site of 30 infections, up from 12 reported two weeks ago; and Linn County’s Hiawatha Care Center, where there are 26 infections, also up from 12 reported two weeks ago.
The biggest trouble spots for care-facility infections continue to be Linn County and Black Hawk County. They not only are home to the two largest outbreaks, they also have the most outbreaks. Four weeks ago, there were no outbreaks reported in any Linn County facilities, but this week, IDPH reported six outbreaks at Linn County facilities. There are five outbreaks in Black Hawk County care facilities.
Here’s a look at each of the 41 Iowa care facilities where an active outbreak was reported by IDPH this week:
• Allamakee County — Good Samaritan Home of Postville: Eight infections.
• Appanoose County — Golden Age Care Center: 10 infections.
• Black Hawk County — Friendship Village Retirement Center: Eight infections.
• Black Hawk County — Martin Health Center: Five infections.
• Black Hawk County — Newaldaya Lifescapes: 30 infections.
• Boone County — Madrid Home for the Aging: Seven infections.
• Carroll County — Thomas Rest Haven: Four infections.
• Dallas County — Arbor Springs of West Des Moines: Six infections.
• Des Moines County — Azria Health Prairie Ridge: Three infections.
• Dubuque County — Sunnycrest Manor: Six infections.
• Henry County — New London Specialty Care: Four infections.
• Howard County — Evans Memorial Home: Four infections.
• Iowa County — English Valley Nursing Care Center: Four infections.
• Jackson County — Mill Valley Care Center: 10 infections.
• Jefferson County — Sunny Brook Living Care Center: 12 infections.
• Keokuk County — Manor House Care Center: 11 infections.
• Kossuth County — Algona Manor Care Center: 10 infections.
• Lee County — Mississippi Valley Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center: 24 infections. Two weeks ago, there were no reported outbreaks at this home.
• Linn County — Heritage Specialty Care: 11 infections.
• Linn County — Hiawatha Care Center: 26 infections.
• Linn County — Living Center West: Four infections.
• Linn County — Northbrook Manor Care Center: Seven infections.
• Linn County — West Ridge Care Center: Five infections.
• Linn County — Winslow House Care Center: Four infections.
•Madison County — QHC Winterset North: 12 infections.
• Mahaska County — Northern Mahaska Specialty Care: Three infections.
• Marshall County — Iowa Veterans Home: 14 infections. Two weeks ago, there were five reported infections at the home.
• Plymouth County — Akron Care Center: Four infections.
• Polk County — ManorCare Health Services-West Des Moines: Five infections.
• Polk County — Wesley Acres: Four infections.
• Pottawattamie County — Risen Son Christian Village: Six infections.
• Scott County — Davenport Lutheran Home: 14 infections.
• Scott County — Kahl Home for the Aged and Infirm: 25 infections. Two weeks ago, there were nine infections reported at the home.
• Sioux County — Sioux Center Health Royale Meadows: 19 infections. Two weeks ago, there were no reported outbreaks at the home.
• Story County — Bethany Life: Four infections.