Marshalltown VFW lays out 2020 projects
Marshalltown Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 839 began year 2020 activities during Tuesdays January meeting via a busy agenda.
With Senior Vice Commander Rob Shepherd presiding Harry C. Harter Post vets aimed toward:
• Public fish fries March 27 and April 10
• Updating food refrigeration equipment
• Updating electrical lighting of the outdoor U.S. Flag
• Better method for keeping track of members in cooperation with Post Auxiliary
• Assisting with traveling costs of post Service Officer
• Looking toward 2020-21 post election
Special recognition has come to Service Officer Dennis Myers via a certificate of appreciation signed by National Commander in Chief “Doc” Schmitz as “Patriots Circle Member for faithful support of VFW’s National Veterans Service Program.”
Myers plans another trip to Washington, D.C. in February to meet with top officers to review veterans issues.
Ken Breinig’s report on joint VFW/American Legion Honor Guard activities noted participation at five veteran’s military funerals during December and 86 during year 2019.
Ken Fox, a Marine of Afghanistan service era, was accepted into Post 839 membership during the meeting. Steven Hyde served as acting adjutant for Larry Tuttle, who was out with health issues.
Others in ritual roles were Roger Dirks, Quartermaster; Pete Dumer, acting guard and Mel Pitzen, acting chaplain.