PEO delegates attend convention
The following delegates in Marshall County attended the 128th annual Convention of Iowa State Chapter PEO Sisterhood on June 5:
• Carolyn Anderson, Chapter CF in State Center
• Toni Johnson, Chapter JU in Marshalltown
• Marlys Smith, Chapter LT in Marshalltown
• Rhonda Miller, Chapter MJ in Marshalltown
• Rheba Yost, Mary Douds and Jeanne Christensen, Chapter NU in Marshalltown
Attendees viewed videos from recipients of PEO’s six philanthropies and the Iowa PEO Project Fund, Inc., participated in state-level business and observed a Time of Remembrance for the deceased members from 2019 and 2020.
PEO is one of the pioneer societies for women and was founded on Jan. 21, 1869 by seven young women at Iowa Wesleyan University in Mount Pleasant. PEO blossomed to include women off-campus and is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate through scholarships, grants, awards, loans and stewardship of Cottey College in Nevada and Missouri. There are approximately 6,000 chapters across the United States and Canada with nearly 250,000 members. Iowa is the second largest state chapter with 363 chapters and nearly 15,000 members.