Weekend events bring road closures
This Friday and Saturday two big events will take over downtown Marshalltown and will require extra parking as well as road closures. Here’s what to know.
The first big event of the weekend is the One-Year Anniversary Ice Cream Social, which is a celebration of Marshalltown pulling through the tragedy of the July 2018 tornado. This event will be 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday.
The second event is the Marshalltown Art Festival which will bring many local artists and more together to celebrate art. This event will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
Both of these large events will be held in downtown Marshalltown and will cause road closures in the area.
At 1 p.m. Friday, Main Street will be closed from Center Street to Second Avenue and will remain closed until 7 p.m. on Saturday. This includes all intersections and on-street parking in the area, as well as First Avenue and Second Avenue between Main and Church Streets. Parking Lot O, located off of Second Avenue will also be closed starting at 1 p.m. on Friday and closed through Saturday.
Those attending either the event to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the tornado or the Marshalltown Art Festival are encouraged to park in a number of public parking lots located within two to three blocks of Main Street, including the following:
• Parking Lot J — State Street behind City Center Building
• Parking Lot T — State/Center Street across from City Hall
• Parking Lot A — 12 West State Street
• Parking Lot Z — Cartwright Pavilion at Second Avenue/State Street
• Parking Lot N — 300 Block of West Main Street
• Parking Lots W/P — First Avenue and Church Streets
• Parking Lot H — Church and First Streets
Contact Logan Metzger at 641-753-6611 or firstname.lastname@example.org