MPD offers up space to complete online sales transactions
The Marshalltown Police Department frequently receives complaints or concerns regarding internet fraud schemes.
In an effort to protect community members from these types of crimes, the Marshalltown Police Department, 909 S. Second St., has designated the public lobby and the parking in front of the building, as safe zones for the completion of online sales transactions.
Police department staff will not be assigned to monitor transactions nor do they require the participants in any transaction to notify the police department in advance. Police department personnel will not mediate civil disputes or assist with the collection of debts associated with these transactions. The Marshalltown Police Department is simply providing a safe space for the transactions to occur.
The public lobby at the police department may not be used for any transactions involving firearms or any prohibited/illegal contraband, goods or services. People wishing to use the police department lobby for after-hours transactions may use the phone located in the police lobby to contact the 911 Communication Center should they need help or assistance while visiting the police department.
The following online transaction safety tips are excellent reminders for anyone participating in online transactions or responding to online advertisements.
• Always meet in a public place.
• Tell someone about the transaction and meeting details.
• Never meet at home or a private residence.
• Always meet during the day.
• If it is a high priced transaction, conduct this business at a bank so a banking professional can confirm funds are delivered successfully.
• Disable caller ID when calling the buyer or seller on the telephone.
• Do not use a personal email address.
• Keep a cellular telephone close during the transaction meeting.
• Do not reveal personal identification information.
The Marshalltown Police Department reminds community members to always use great caution when using the Internet or electronic means to conduct business of any kind. Be cautious when meeting with unknown people. Never provide personal information under any circumstances. If a person believes they have been the victim of an online fraud or criminal scheme, report these crimes immediately to law enforcement.