House fire in Garwin leaves home a total loss

PHOTO BY MARGARET THOMSEN Pictured is the Scott Kellogg house East of Garwin that was lost in an early-morning fire on Dec. 26.

The Garwin Fire Department was called to a house fire west of town on B Avenue early on Dec. 26. Occupant Scott Kellogg woke at 2:50 a.m. to a house full of smoke and the south outside side engulfed in flames.

According to Garwin Fire Department Chief Nate Holven the house is a total loss. No one was injured, but the family dog had taken refuge under the front porch and firefighters had trouble getting him out. He was taken to the vet and is doing fine.

Chief Holven stated, “When we arrived the house was engulfed and I called for mutual aid for water assistance from Gladbrook, Montour and Toledo Fire Departments,” Holven said. “It is lucky Scott woke up. He thought he was dreaming. There was intense smoke inside and he went outside to find the whole roof in flames. His car was sitting in the drive and had a bit of plastic melted. However his keys were on the kitchen table and were gone. The siding on the nearby garage melted from the intense heat.”

As of press time no cause of the fire has been determined.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today