Willard’s closes its doors
Willard’s Furs and Fashions stood the test of time for more than 150 years but time has run out for the downtown staple.
The store, which opened in 1864, closed last month after 157 years in business. Located at 36 W. Main Street, the business was passed down through five generations in the same family at the same location.
Willard’s got its start as a spot for trading fur when it was founded by Hiram Willard. In 1910 it grew to include garments.
Owner Jonathan Hull attributes Willard’s going out of business to the natural disasters that have beset Marshalltown, as well as changing sentiment toward fur clothing.
On April 1 the building was sold to MHS Properties LLC. for $70,000.