MFD responds to fire at Iowa Veterans Home Tuesday morning

The Marshalltown Fire Department was called to battle a small blaze on the fourth floor of the Dack Building on the Iowa Veterans Home campus Tuesday morning, but thankfully, no injuries were reported.

At 4:41 a.m., the MFD was dispatched to IVH for a fire alarm with smoke observed and sprinkler activation reported, according to a press release. Crews arrived to find light smoke and an active sprinkler in a room on the fourth floor of the Dack building.

One resident had been removed from the room prior to the fire department’s arrival. Residents were also evacuated from the wing and several rooms on the floor below.

Fire personnel, assisted by IVH staff, were able to control the sprinkler and did a brief overhaul of the room. It was found that a small fire involving an overheated electronic device as well as a basket, papers, and a window shade had set the sprinkler off and caused a moderate amount of smoke to spread throughout the wing.

Damage from the fire was contained to the room of origin however water from the sprinkler system contributed to damage on several floors. No injuries were reported. Fire personnel were on scene for approximately two hours and were assisted by the Marshalltown Police Department and IVH staff.

Mayor Joel Greer and Commandant Todd Jacobus were both highly complimentary of the fire department’s response to the situation, with Jacobus opining that the MFD “has a great team.” Anyone with questions is encouraged to contact the MFD at 641-754-5751.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today