A new era for BCLUW
Public welcomed to tour improvements as district shifts from three to two buildings
Trending
CONRAD -- Beaman-Conrad-Liscomb-Union-Whitten (BCLUW) students and staff are returning to classes for the 2026-2027 school year on Monday, and they will almost certainly notice some major changes: an approximately $8 million renovation project to transition the district from three to two buildings is mostly complete, with K-6 students attending the elementary building, 7-12 at the junior/senior high school in Conrad and the former middle school in Union is now officially closed.
On Thursday evening, Comet families had a chance to tour the improvements for themselves during an open house at both buildings and see the results of the work that began under the direction of general contractor Garling Construction last year. Some of the major highlights include a new gymnasium and improved Career and Technical Education (CTE) space at the junior/senior high school and a new cafeteria and secure entry area at the elementary building. After a failed bond issue vote in 2023, the school board authorized the use of Securing an Advanced Vision for Education (SAVE) and Physical Plant and Equipment Levy (PPEL) funds and bonds against future revenues.
"I think it's exciting. The kids have seen some of the spaces. I know they're excited to use them. It's gonna be much, much better for student learning and student activities than if we hadn't done (this)," longtime Superintendent Ben Petty said. "We knew we'd have to become a two-building district, but this construction project is gonna make academics (and) it's gonna make activities much better for students."
The new gym will primarily host physical education classes, serve as the main gym for junior high activities and be utilized for some high school activities and tournaments along with the main roundhouse just down the hallway. The main components of the new CTE wing are a large new agricultural sciences classroom, which will serve a growing program under the leadership of instructor Frannie Brown, and a new business classroom. In addition, there are new windows on the Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) classroom for better natural lighting and a new patio area by the entry.
At the elementary, the highlights are a new cafeteria -- previously, the gym and cafeteria were in the same space -- a new floor at the gym and new office space to maximize safety and security. Thus far, Petty said the feedback from the public has been overwhelmingly positive, and School Board President Adam Probasco is excited to help oversee such a major investment in the future of the district.
"It's always been on the horizon, and so to finally see it come to fruition, it's really good. And I'm really proud of the work that everybody's done," Probasco said. "I wish we would've kept count of all the special meetings that we've had. But just all of the time that everybody spent, whether it's faculty giving us feedback on their wants and needs and just trying to tailor everything toward what the district needs and what the students ultimately need, it's exciting to see it all come together. It's kind of a new era for the district, and it's exciting to get everything here. And I think there's gonna be an opportunity for growth. Having everything centralized in one town, I think, is really gonna be key... Everything is gonna go hand in hand with each other. I think everything's gonna be better suited for the students and staff."
Petty also feels that bringing junior high students over to the high school building will help to expand exploratory offerings for them, and despite the strong feelings surrounding the decision to close the middle school building -- not unlike similar situations that have recently played out at both East Marshall and Gladbrook-Reinbeck -- he said the initial shock has largely worn off as district leadership worked to restructure facilities due to declining enrollment.
"We had to make some changes to ensure the long-term financial health of the district. I think there'll always be some mixed emotions with it, no doubt about it. I have them too. All three of my kids went through the middle school," he said. "But ultimately, I know it's the best thing long-term for the district. I think most of the community members do as well."
As evidence, he pointed to the fact that there have been no open enrollments out on the west side of the district due to the change, and there are pieces of the old middle school like lockers that have been installed in the changing rooms next to the new gym. Currently, there is no definitive plan for the closed building, but Petty said he has reached out to economic development entities in the state and the city of Union to see if they would be interested in repurposing it.
"If we were to turn it over to another entity, we want to make sure it's a good long-term solution and that it's not something that would end up being abandoned and becoming an eyesore," he said.
As for the first year under the new configuration, the superintendent fully expects tweaks to be made as they adjust, but he remains optimistic about the future of BCLUW.
"We're not coming into this with a real narrow vision. We're gonna keep evaluating. We'll be flexible and see how it goes. But we're expecting the best, and I'm excited for what this year brings," he said.
In light of the tragic passing of Jr./Sr. High School Principal Josh Tack earlier this month, previously retired Middle School Principal Dirk Borgman will return on an interim basis to fill the role for the 2026-2027 school year.
Contact Robert Maharry at (641) 753-6611 ext. 255 or rmaharry@timesrepublican.com.