MFD battles house fire on North 1st Street

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO Marshalltown firefighters responded to a structure fire at 502 N. 1st St. on Monday morning. No injuries were reported.

On Monday morning at 9:18 a.m., the Marshalltown Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire located at 502 N. 1st St.

Upon arrival, a two-car detached garage is found with a working fire inside. After forcing entry, firefighters quickly brought the fire under control. There was no fire exposure to any of the adjoining structures.

After final extinguishment, the cause was determined to be the improper disposal of wood stove contents into a plastic container. An ember in the ash material from the wood stove melted down and ignited the plastic bucket containing them, then spread to the contents of the garage.

No civilians or firefighters were injured during this incident. Marshalltown Firefighters were at the scene for approximately two hours. The Marshalltown Police Department and Alliant Energy assisted at the scene.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today