Top 10 reasons to shop Marshalltown
The Chamber often shares messages about shopping locally during the holiday season, but we know the importantce of shopping locally year-round. Now, more than ever, we are asking the public to support our local businesses as they begin to re-open and recover from closures related to COVID-19.
Here are 10 reasons why it’s important to shop local and shop support small businesses.
10. When you shop a locally-owned business, more money is kept within the community. Local businesses often purchase goods and services from other local businesses. On average, a $100 purchase made in a locally-owned retail location means $68 kept in our community.
9. Our local businesses support local schools and non-profit organizations. Often, it’s local businesses who make donations to school and community events and partner with non-profit organizations on various fundraising and awareness campaigns throughout the year.
8. Great customer service. Our local businesses want your business and provide great customer service, before, during, and after the sale. Give them a chance to “wow” you with what they are able to do.
7. You’ll find unique gift items. Many of our locally-owned businesses have exclusive product lines that will help you gift one-of-a-kind items.
6. In today’s society, so much of our interactions are done virtually – especially recently. Shopping in locally-owned businesses allows for one-on-one interactions, allowing you to create personal relationships with business owners, who are investing in this community we all call home.
5. When you shop a locally-owned business, you are helping that business owner create jobs. Small business owners are the largest group of employers nationally. They are the backbone of our economy.
4. It is an investment in our community. Not only does it help the local business owner and the local tax base, but supporting local businesses also allows those businesses to remain in our community. Your support helps them keep their doors open and customers coming in.
3. A marketplace with dozens of small businesses is the best environment to ensure innovation and fair prices over the long-term.
2. It saves you money. By shopping in our local retailers, you are saving money on gas, wear-and-tear on your vehicle, and precious time driving outside of the community. Shopping locally gives you more time to enjoy a latte with a friend at a local coffee shop or spend time on our miles of recreational trails with your family.
1. It’s fun! Keeping your money locally means your community thrives. And that’s sure to put a smile on everyone’s face!
On behalf of the business community, we are asking for your support to Think Local First. Not just for restaurants and retailers, but also service providers, car dealerships, mortgage lenders, financial planners, non-profit organizations and the list goes on and on. When considering a purchase, please Think Local First – if you can get it in the Marshalltown area, please do. The businesses appreciate your support.
Lynn Olberding is the President & CEO of the Marshalltown Area Chamber of Commerce