Five charged in alcohol compliance checks
Late last week, the Marshalltown Police Department conducted alcohol compliance checks at local businesses and retail stores, leading to five people being charged.
The MPD conducts these checks throughout the year in an effort to reduce underage drinking and the purchase of alcohol by persons under the age of 21. Compliance checks were made at 22 locations across town that sell alcohol — five were found to be non-compliant.
This past Friday, the following people were charged with providing alcohol to a person under the legal age:
• Gloria Melchor, 22, Kwik Star, 2500 South Center St.
• Ishrath Jahan, 37, East Side Liquor, 1116 East Nevada St.
• Heather Edwards, 32, Kwik Star, 810 South 3rd Ave.
• Trisha Hansen, 38, BP Travel Center, 1701 Iowa Ave. East
• Vincent Gassman, 23, Center Street Station, 19 North Center St.
All five were cited and released.
MPD Lt. Rick Bellile said the agency will continue to do these compliance checks and extra patrols throughout the year to combat underage drinking and the sale of alcohol to minors.