MFD responds to Colonial Motel fire

TIMES-REPUBLICAN

The Marshalltown Fire Department responded to a fire at the Colonial Motel, 1001 Iowa Ave. W., Tuesday. Upon arrival, personnel found a working attic fire in the center of the building and evacuation in progress. Firefighters quickly gained access to the seat of the fire by pulling interior ceiling and cutting a ventilation hole in the roof of the structure. Water was applied bringing the fire under control. Upon investigation, faulty electrical wiring in the attic was discovered to have caused the fire. Damage to the structure is estimated at $20,000. Forty-seven people were displaced as a result of the incident and were directed to the Red Cross shelter. Marshalltown Police, Unity Point EMS and Alliant Energy assisted at the scene. No firefighters or civilians were injured as a result. Contact the MFD with questions at 641-754-5751.